Today is the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day! Whether "Going Green" or being "Eco Friendly" is a priority in your little home, the fact of the matter is that we are all creatures here on this earth and we can celebrate Earth Day every day by being more aware of our environment.
Some easy ways to be mindful of the Earth and more eco-friendly in your little Jewel Box Home:
- In the kitchen, shop for appliances that save energy and water such as those with the "Energy Star" label. Not only does this help the environment, but it saves you pennies!
- Choose paints without volatile organic compounds. VOC's can emit toxic gas into the atmosphere.
- Upgrade to a tankless water heater. They use 25-35 percent less energy.
- Use cloth napkins instead of paper. Eliminating disposable napkins keeps 500,000 tons of paper-based trash out of landfills each year.
- Use a recycling bin!
- Use soft-white compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Purchase bamboo shades. Bamboo grows with few chemicals and naturally regenerates!
- Choose natural soy candles for fragrance. Soy emits no toxins!
- Add plants to your home to absorb airborne toxins.
- Eat meat-free once a week!
- Mulch your flower beds and save hundreds of gallons of water a year!
- Heat and cool your home with trees. Shading your house in the summer and providing wind breaks int the cooler months, trees provide extra protection in all weather types.
Just a few simple tasks can aid the environment and help us, as a human race, to protect and beautify our earth.
Happy Earth Day Every Day!