Did I turn off the coffee pot? Shut the garage door? Remember to pack my toothbrush? As I prepare to travel on a family vacation, I find myself filled with anxiety before I ever leave the house. This year I am ahead of the game with my checklist. I thought I'd share it with you since 'tis the season for summer travel. As you prepare to leave your little Jewel Box® Home, make sure you get the following checked off your list!
- Stop that mail!! Nothing tells a would-be thief that your home is unoccupied like a mailbox crammed with mail and four newspapers in the driveway.
- Arrange to have your lawn mowed. Surely some kind neighbor or family member will help you out during your time away! Not only is this also a theft-deterrent, but who wants to come home to yard work?
- Set your air conditioner at a higher setting.
- Set lights and a radio on a timer. Just an hour or so on at night makes a house look occupied.
- Board your pets!
- Ask your neighbor to park in your driveway every other day or so.
- Before you leave take one last look around and don't forget to turn off that coffee pot and shut the garage door.
- Relax and have fun!