Thursday, May 3, 2012

Small Balconies - Tiny Outdoor Rooms in the Sky




One of my favorite things to do is sit outside in a comfortable chair reading a good book.  When I was first married, we lived in a small apartment on the 24th floor of a nondescript Chicago building.  It was nothing special, just a vanilla box of a place, but the tiny balcony was magical.  Whenever it was sunny, I was out on the balcony enjoying the view along with a good book, surrounded by my potted flowers and tomato plants.  There was barely room for my chair!

These glorious little balconies remind me of my tiny outdoor room on the 24th floor.  Enjoy!

All photos from the FreshHome Interior Design and Architecture.







Potted lavender plants and polka dot pillows make a surprisingly nice color combination against the teak patio furniture.








Don't limit yourself to the usual flower and plant varieties.  Notice the miniature tree potted above and the use of and silver pails for containers. 





Lanterns are always a nice balcony accessory and provide soft light when the sun goes down.




When the weather is nice but the air is chilly, bring pillows and blanket throws outside to make things cozy.










Yes, that is snow on the streets and roof tops.  This balcony is in Sweden where cold weather never stopped anyone from enjoying the outdoors.







Have a wonderful weekend!

Genevieve

12 comments:

  1. ...oh i love them...every one of them...tiny...jewel box rooms with a view...wonderful...blessings...laney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have a tiny balcony too and this gives me some ideas! Also I like the idea of double houses in your last blog, esp the cottages next to each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those little balconies, too! City dwellers must find them such a wonderful source of joy and relaxation. I do wonder, though, what they do about all those lovely things when it rains...

    I enjoy my own screened-in back porch. It's great for enjoying a cup of coffee or a glass of iced tea while reading a novel or leisurely perusing a new magazine. With the cats curled up nearby, fluffy white clouds rolling by, lossoming shrubs to look at and birdsong to listen to, what more could I want?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dear Laney, It's always wonderful to hear from the Jewel Box® poet laureate. The ellipses in your writing make it so beautiful and calming. "tiny...jewel box rooms with a view..." so magical.
    Hugs, Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy, So great to hear from you. And the double cottages were wonderful. Wish I could make that a reality in my life. I'll probably see you soon in Des Moines for Michael's graduation.
    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, That's a good question. What happens with all the pillows and balcony accessories when it rains? If it were me, I'd have a wicker basket or trunk for storing things that would be ruined by rain.

    And your screen-in back porch sounds heavenly! Send a photo if you ever get a chance.
    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...joyce and genevieve...they do what i do when it rains...they yell "rain!"...and run outside like lunatics to grab all the pillows to drag inside and pile on the floor...the drought here has been dreadful these past few years...but it has had its advantages!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Laney,
    Thanks for making me laugh out loud! And of course, you are right, that's exactly what I would do.
    Hugs,
    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for another fabulous post! I featured your blog on my Page and am directing prayers your way. Hang in there and thanks for your wonderful blog...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved living in a place where you could people watch. Living in the suburbs you don't get to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...genenvieve...tell you more about living on the "24th floor"...sounds like a perfect name for a blog!...love you blessings laney

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...you know i meant tell US more! hugs again laney

    ReplyDelete