Thursday, April 10, 2008

Quick Color for Your Spring Garden


These stars of earth, these golden flowers.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

As far as I'm concerned, its not officially spring until the tulips are in bloom. One year I planted over 1000 bulbs! But even when I'm too lazy to lazy to put down bulbs in the fall - which I was this past year - I still have tulips in my spring garden. How? I run over to Home Depot, Lowes, or my local garden store and buy pre-planted tulip bulbs that have already begun to sprout. Don't expect the same range of color available with fall bulbs, or the fancy varieties, but the basic yellow, red and purple shades are usually in stock. I love to plant groupings of 10 to 20 pre-planted bulbs around the front of the house, and fill two planters at the entry way with bulbs. Its easy and looks terrific. Just remember to stay with a single shade - I love yellow or red - and plant bulbs in groups to get a bright pop of color.

Until next time!

Genevieve

No comments:

Post a Comment