Monday, November 17, 2008

Rerun Of My Favorite Kitchen Things

"I have only a little galley kitchen, but I can put out a dinner party for forty."

— Martha Greenlaw, Chef and Author
Recipes from a Very Small Island, (2005)



Television and radio shows rerun favorite programs and books reprint best-sellers outfitted with new covers. Why not blogs? Rather than let more time pass between posts, I have decided to rerun 'My Favorite Kitchen Things' which first appeared about six months ago. It contains a few kitchen suggestions that might come in handy as you get ready for the holidays.

And now for 'My Favorite Kitchen Things' which first appeared last May...

The photo above is my galley kitchen and it measures 8' x 8' from wall-to-wall. So how do I function in a space this small? Let me tell you about some of my favorite kitchen things that I couldn't live without.

  • My Step Stool. I have the most wonderful step stool that allows me to reach the top shelf of my kitchen cabinets without any problem. At 5'2" tall on a good day, I could not function in the kitchen without my step stool. It has a false front that looks exactly like my kitchen drawers and folds easily for storage in the kitchen kick plate when not in use.



  • Under Shelf Wire Bins. The wire bins in the picture below let me make use of the space above my dishes, glasses and mugs. I also use them in my pantry. They are available for a few dollars each at any The Container Store, a nation wide chain that sells organizational and storage tools. You can purchase these bins in white - which I chose - or silver. More colors may be available, I haven't been to The Container Store in awhile. And yes, call me boring, but all my dishes are white. I prefer a monochromatic goes-with-everything look.


  • Over-the-Sink-Colander or Strainer. If you read the Jewel Box Living newsletter you know that I love my large single bowl sink. But an over the sink colander lets me have it all. Whenever I need that "extra" sink for rinsing vegetables or draining pasta, I pull out my expandable colander/strainer. When not in use, I store it with my pots and pans. These colanders are available at Target for $20 to $25.

Until next time,

Genevieve

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful suggestions. I love how you keep everything clean and simple. Very practical. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful ideas- I will be using your blog to help me through the process of coming up with ideas for our soon to be big adventure of owning a little home- Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and the whole idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you site- I've been reading everything I can find about little homes- I've even added you to my blogroll {hopes that's okay}
    I just had my first event and decorated for Christmas for the first time- In the City Bungalow-
    Thanks for the help
    http://www.andersenseven.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete