Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Collections on View

I love my collections!! My favorite things to hunt for are old antique keys, antique transferware and jadite dishes, antique or vintage pictures of roses and old photos of vintage people. I love to decorate my house with these fun finds! But I find in my little tiny cottage that the areas to display my treasures are few and far between, especially as my collections grow.

Collections don't have to be hidden away in cabinets, drawers or the attic. Get down your collections and let's put them to good use!

One of my favorite things to do with my plates is to hang them on the walls! A beautiful display of my transferware is a lovely addition to my decor. Dishes and plates don't have to be relegated to the kitchen or dining area only-display them above your mantle, or on a plate rail in the hall. Grouped together, any collection is more eye catching and artful!


Photo Courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens
Create a theme, by gathering your collection together in one area, like a hutch or china cabinet. By grouping them together, the effect is dramatic and pleasing to the eye.


Photo Courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens

Collections like stamps, old travel stickers or brochures, postcards and pictures are wonderful works of art! Frame them all together or individually and group them in a setting and you will liven up your walls while at the same time showing off your beautiful trinkets!


Photo Courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens

I am always looking for ways to display my photographs. By using a little acid-free glue and adhering their old family portraits to flea-market finds, this collector found a double-duty way to display their loved ones.


Photo Courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens

My antique keys dangle from every cabinet door in my house on lovely ribbons, key chains and fabric remnants. I love to glue them to beautiful wallpaper and frame them as well. I love the cohesive look this doorknob lover has given to her treasures by simply grouping them together in an artistic display. Knock Knock!


Photo Courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens

Family pictures make a house a home by reflecting the people that live within! I am always looking for areas to show off my beautiful family! Table tops, shelves and counters are great places to hold picture frames.


Photo Courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens


Photo Courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens

I also love the idea of gathering black and white photographs for a more modern display, matting them and framing them all in the same style frame. By leaning them, overlapping, on a shelf with a few contemporary accessories, you can show off your family in a dramatic fashion.

Covering a kitchen back splash or office bulletin board with cork and pinning photos to it is also another clever way to showcase and alternate out your latest snapshots.

I think it is fun to alternate your collection displays. Gently pack away some of your treasures and pull a switcheroo on your family and friends by pulling out something you haven't shown off in a while. This freshens up your decor and allows those of us living in a smaller home a way to add to and showcase our growing collections!

~Amber

2 comments:

  1. Love your creative ideas!

    I've given you the Sunshine Blog Award @
    http://hollylaneantiques.blogspot.com/2010/02/welcomed-surprise.html

    You can pick it up anytime!

    ReplyDelete