Friday, April 16, 2010

Let's Play Outside!

When my husband and I bought our first house fourteen years ago, the feature that sold us was the enormous back deck.  It was huge with many tiers and a hammock.  I could just picture myself lazily reading in that hammock during the warm summer days.  We have lived in three houses since that first, but I still miss that deck!

In the spring and summer months, we venture outdoors and try our best to utilize our big backyard as more living space.  My husband has built another big deck onto the back of our home and we spend lots of time on that deck grilling, sitting around the fire pit or just having a glass of wine and watching the kids catch fireflies.

I love that about warmer weather!  We can turn to the outdoors to add to our home's square footage.  I always try to keep my eyes peeled for fun and festive ways to enhance our outdoor living space.


Photo Courtesy of HGTV

I love the idea of soft curtains blowing in the breeze.  Not only would they shade you from the hottest part of the day, but also shield you from pesky bugs and mosquitoes in the evening hours.  Plus they are just so darn cute! 



Photo Courtesy of HGTV

Everything tastes better when eaten outdoors!  I love the idea of a morning cup of coffee in the above darling little courtyard on this bistro table.  I can see myself sipping orange juice and eating croissants right now!  

Photo Courtesy of HGTV

This adorable screened-in porch makes good use of indoor/outdoor carpeting with a fun rug to add to the decor helping the continuity of that transition from inside to out.  
 

 Photo Courtesy of HGTV

I love this railing with the built in planter boxes!  What an unusual way to add foliage to this lovely deck!  I just might borrow this for my own backyard paradise.
  


Photo Courtesy of HGTV

This homeowner turned a troublesome area where no grass would grow under a large tree into a beautiful patio area.  I love the bricked walkway and stairs and that wooden bench around the tree just enhances the whimsical feel of this backyard.

Photo Courtesy of HGTV

Fence and furniture painted the same looks chic and appealing when paired with a few plants and a festive rug!  A calm oasis for an afternoon cup of tea.

Whatever your style, your backyard can reflect your unique self and extend your living space all at the same time!  I am off to start sketching up some plans for those cute planters.  My hubbie will love another weekend project!

~Amber  

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love this, Genevieve! I just moved into a new apartment and I have a teensy patio to fix up. :-) You've inspired me!!

    ReplyDelete