Friday, June 4, 2010

Guest Room 101





Photo Courtesy of Country Living

I love overnight guests.  Sadly, my home doesn't accommodate a houseful.  But, this doesn't stop me from inviting loved ones to stay over.  So how do I make friends and family feel comfortable and welcome in our little Jewel Box® Home for overnight visits?

Photo Courtesy of Country Living

The trick to having 'sleepover' guests is the double duty room.  Those of us who work from home know how precious our office space (or in my case office nook) can be, but I bet you would be willing to share if your best friend came for a sleepover.  Office space can easily double as a guest room with just a few minor adjustments.

Before

Photo Courtesy of Better Home and Gardens

After

Photo Courtesy of Better Home and Gardens


Photo Courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens


With creative details, that can be added over time, the guest room/home office doesn't have to feel like an afterthought.  The use of armoires to hide computers or vintage secretaries to house paperwork and provide a lovely workspace is a perfect way to add form and function without sacrificing beauty.  Another benefit, your guests won't feel as if they are sleeping in a utilitarian office. 

Before

Photo Courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens

After


Photo Courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens

Lighting, draperies, fabrics and accessories...all elements often neglected in a home office due to the focus on functionality, can be added when the space is re-evaluated for its use as a guest room and home office.


Photo Courtesy of Country Living

So you don't have a home office?  I bet you have a "Catchall Room".  That room where all the miscellaneous furniture gets "stored" because you just don't know where it fits into your home.  Treadmills, computer desks, etc.  Like a sad furniture graveyard.  It is time to clean it out so you can open your home to guests!
Photo Courtesy of Country Living

Give it a coat of paint and some brand new sheets and pillowcases!  A small nightstand and clock and a bouquet of flowers and you are ready for your houseguests! 

Photo Courtesy of Country Living

What better way to welcome your guests than with a little gift! Include necessities such as shampoos, lotions and soaps.  Don't forget to leave a fresh stack of fluffy towels on the bed.  Wouldn't it be perfect if you could store a little 4 cup coffee maker in the nightstand?  Plug it in first thing in the morning and your guests feel pampered and loved!

Photo Courtesy of Country Living

I love having guests and with some creativity the small size of my home doesn't hamper my welcoming spirit! 

~Amber

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, my office is always a mess! At least I can pick up my guest room a few times of year when company is coming.

    I think my issues deal with not taking time to pick up after myself EVRY DAY! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our guest room right now happens to be the living room. BUT we do have a very long, deep couch that all of my family talks about with adoration so I guess that's a start. :)

    Thanks so much for your kind words about the paper dolls. So fun to have found a new friend. I always look forward to your beautiful posts. :)

    ReplyDelete